Publicity is the deliberate attempt to manage the public’s perception of a person, organisation or product. The truth is, it’s easy to gain publicity.
Let’s take this scenario as an example. You posted a funny meme, it went viral and it was deeply offensive. The thing is, you’re not trying to be controversial. You just wanted a few laughs. But now your business is receiving a lot of negative publicity.
Good publicity is different. Take a look at this: InsideOut PR, a PR agency, crafts an entire campaign to bring your brand in a positive light. They also created memes, but instead of being controversial, these memes became viral for all the right reasons: they’re relatable, engaging and authentic.
How to get good publicity
- Do word-of-mouth marketing
One of the best ways to gain good publicity for your brand is through word-of-mouth marketing. This is when people tell their friends and family about your brand or product.
You can encourage word-of-mouth marketing by offering incentives, such as discounts or freebies. You can also create loyalty programs to reward your most loyal customers. Another way to encourage word-of-mouth marketing is by providing an exceptional customer experience.
If you make it easy for people to talk about your brand, they will be more likely to do it.
Here are a few ideas on how you can get started with word-of-mouth marketing:
- Give out coupons or samples of your product at local events.
- Sponsor a contest or giveaway and promote it on social media.
- Make sure your product packaging is eye-catching and unique.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Do something newsworthy
This is probably the most effective way to get good publicity for your brand. If you can do something that gets people talking, you’re more likely to get covered by the media.
Of course, not all publicity is good publicity. So, you need to be careful with this one. Make sure whatever you do is in line with your brand identity and values.
Here are a few ideas on how you can generate newsworthy content:
- Hold a charity event or fundraiser and invite local media outlets.
- Do something unique or out-of-the-box that will get people talking.
- Partner up with another brand or celebrity for a joint promotion.
- Launch a new product or service with a big marketing campaign.
- Work with influencers
Influencers have a large following. They can help promote your brand to a wider audience. When working with influencers, choosing ones that are a good fit for your brand is important.
For example, if you’re launching a new fitness app, you would want to work with fitness influencers. But if you’re trying to promote a new line of luxury handbags, you would want to work with fashion influencers.
When choosing an influencer to work with, make sure they align with your brand identity and values. You should also make sure their audience is relevant to your target market.
Here are a few ideas on how you can work with influencers:
- Ask them to review your product or service on their blog or YouTube channel.
- Sponsor one of their events.
- Collaborate with them on a joint promotion or giveaway.
- Invite them to be a guest on your podcast or webinar.
Good Publicity Done Right
Remember, not all publicity is good publicity. So, be careful with what you do and say. If you can stay on brand and generate newsworthy content, you’re sure to get the good publicity your brand deserves.